The Arlington Housing Authority (AHA) convenes a special board meeting at 5 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 2, to discuss an electrical upgrade to Chestnut Manor. The seven- story, 100-unit apartment building for the elderly and disabled was the scene of a deadly fire early Saturday, Jan. 22.

AHA logo

The Department of Fire Services determined that the “two-alarm fire was accidental and started with an electrical baseboard heater that either malfunctioned or was in close proximity to combustible items.” The public report by the Fire & Explosion Investigation Unit is pending, and Your Arlington will report on its release.

Several AHA properties, such as the unit in Chestnut Manor, use baseboard heaters- called radiant electric heat on the Town of Arlington property records -- which are mounted on the wall and wired into the building's electrical system.

The special board meeting will discuss budget revisions to the existing Capital Improvement Plan (pages 10-14) that was unanimously approved by the board last July.

To join the remotely held special meeting, click here >>

This agenda announcement was published Wednesday, Feb, 2, 2022.